Thursday, September 10, 2009

Good-bye to Summer

I overheard Ender telling Ezra: " . . . and soon the leaves will be changing and falling off and your job will be to collect all the leaves. They're REALLY fun!"

So I guess I'd better plan ahead for some leafing adventures since Ender is already longing for the days ahead.


I've spent the last few weeks in this weird fog of busy-ness. Mostly the good kind as we're getting into the new school year in the studio, but little things are creeping in on me. I mean, I spent the afternoon last Saturday pulling out the winter clothes we had to see what they need and it's just barely September! But the nights are already pretty cool and in just a few weeks it will be time to wear jeans and layers every day. How did that happen?


I haven't been able to cook much and I'm surprised at how much I miss it after a summer full of kitchen time. Three nights a week I cook only for myself which means I usually end up eating things like a bowl of cold cereal for dinner since I'm the only one eating at that hour. I'm definitely feeling the imbalance. I'm craving a lot of sugar again and the only thing keeping me from eating it is the fact that there is nothing like that in the house. I mean NOTHING. I'm purposely not buying it because I will devour a week's worth of treats in one sitting.


I truly didn't realize how much I'd miss the cooking on this new schedule. Suddenly I'm only making dinner 4 nights a week. I used to feel like meals were such an enormous chore, but now that I better know what I'm doing in the kitchen I don't really want to leave it. I'm still learning a ton, but this new found joy in cooking even simple things makes such a difference to me. I miss it.


Maybe it's just because I love to wear an apron.


I'm still trying to find a solution to the dinner situation on those 3 late nights. My Saturday afternoons may soon find itself filled with cooking to prep for the coming week. Or maybe I'll try to get some freezer things together . . . right now I'm pining for my kitchen and looking forward to this evening when I can get back in there.


Oh- and sewing? I can't even put into words how much I miss all the sewing time I had over the summer! I did sneak in some pajama pants for the boys the other night since they only take an hour from cut to finish but those hardly count. If I can get them to stand still long enough to model them I'll get some pictures to share.


And that extra time with the boys? Oh, I'm missing that too. They don't seem to be. They are staying with their grandmother in the afternoons and  on my three late nights either their grandfather or their daddy takes over right after dinner. This year there hasn't been  a single complaint about going to their grandparents in the afternoon. In fact, the boys are practically running out the door before their grandmother comes to pick them up.


Practically indescribable, that feeling. I'm happy they're excited to go; I'm sad that they don't seem to miss being home. I suppose everything is more exciting at Grandma's house though, and that's okay.

1 comment:

  1. How I love visiting your ever so truthful blog...
    Thanks for sharing!
    Char

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...