Thursday, January 7, 2010

2009 In Books

A book meme snagged from Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things:

  

What was the best new (to you) author you discovered this year?

Kate DiCamillo- The Tale of Desperaux.

What was your favorite new (to you) series?

As much as I hate to admit it, the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. It isn't very well written and some place are groan-worthy, but it's a compelling storyline. After I finished the first book I couldn't stop thinking about it and felt like I had to get my hands on the second book immediately.

 

Book that made you cry?

I don't really cry with books or movies, but the one that stayed with me in a very serious way was One Second After by William L. Forstchen. I had dreams about that book for a few weeks after.

 

Book that made you laugh out loud?

Cape Storm by Rachel Caine. Over all it's definitely a dramatic urban fanasy, but taht girl writes some VERY witty stuff.

 

Book that totally changed your perspective on something?

Real Food by Nina Planck. Totally changed our diet.

 

Best homeschooling book?

This one snuck in on the last day of the year, but I have to go with The 3 R's by Dr. Ruth Beechick. This is totally the direction for us.

 

Worst book that you managed to finish?

Wideacre by Philippa Gregory. Not a single bit of redeeming value in this book. I actually threw it away after I finished it because I couldn't stand the thought of donating it. Thank goodness I only paid 50 cents for it at a garage sale.

 

Most disappointing Book?

Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner. It never really went anywhere, the characters were flat and the motivations fell short. I really wanted to like that book too.

 

Best book-that-was-better-than-the-movie? 

The only things I've read this year that are also movies are the 6th Harry Potter book, The Tale of Desperaux and Twilight. The Twilight movie was really bad, like you could only follow it if you'd read the book.

 

Most over-hyped book of the year?

The Jennifer Weiner book I mentioned above, Best Friends Forever.

 

Best feel-good book of the year?

The Little House books. I read all of them this year, and I'd forgotten how enjoyable they are.

 

 

Best young adult book of the year?

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson.

 

Book you’ve been meaning to read for years and finally got to?

I know this is a weird choice, but Storm Front by Jim Butcher. He's a decently big name is SF and he's also a local author that I've been meaning to try for about 3 years. Finally got to it and the first in the series was a good read.
 

Read aloud that the family enjoyed the most?

My Father's Dragon. Ender is ready to read it again. :)

 

Best non-fiction?

This is when I wish I kept track of the non-fiction I've read! The first thing that pops into my mind is The Power of Play by David Elkind.

 

Best religion/theology/doctrine/philosophy?

This Momentary Marriage by John Piper.

  

All-around best story of the year?

Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey. It's the second in Imriel's series, but I was sooooo sad when I finished that book!




Book that you feel is so integral to your library, you’d even pay full price for it?

The book I've pulled out the very most often this year is Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean by Linda Cobb. Ha ha ha! I've had to take crayon off of walls, ketchup out of beige carpet, and gum out of a shirt, and that's just the stuff I remember.

Be sure to share in comments if you decide to write your own 2009 book list!

1 comment:

  1. I looooooove David Elkind. :) It was fun to read your list!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...