Saturday, September 21, 2013

Project Overload



I started writing a post yesterday about feeling overwhelmed about how many knitting projects I have going on and how I had surpassed my personal comfort level for number of projects. I think most knitters have a general number of projects that they are comfortable with, but it can be very different from knitter to knitter. I haven't ever really been a monogamous knitter, but my number hangs out on average between 3-7 projects on the needles, but more than 5ish makes me feel a little overwhelmed unless we're talking about tiny projects.


I've been feeling overwhelmed, but when I looked back over the past week and realized that I have been knitting with pretty good production over the past 10 days or so despite all the goings on of life, I decided I should list projects and make some decisions. There's absolutely no reason to feel beholden to my projects in a way that makes me dread working on them!


It amounts to 5 knitting projects (1 baby cardigan, 1 cardigan for me, 2 scarves and a pair of socks), 1 spinning project, and MANY sewing projects.


And I thought this whole overwhelmed feeling was because of knitting...


I bought Ellie some coordinating fabric several weeks ago. She has a decent start on a fall/winter wardrobe thanks to friends and family and deals I've picked up over the past year for her, but I wanted to get some more handmades in there and also a few things that I could really mix and match. I bought 3 yards of knits to make some leggings and diaper covers, and 5 coordinating fabrics for tops. I've done really well with cutting out material for the leggings and diaper covers, but I need to get back down to my machine. I made a test pair of leggings 2 weeks ago to get a good fit on her and it took about an hour because so much of it just needs to be serged. Now that I've cut several pair and can just go down the line following each step, I think it might go even faster. Same for the diaper covers too- but I've got to get back to the machine and get to work!


I also have a pajamas for each of the boys just waiting for hems and waistbands. Ender has asked me about those pajamas about 100 times so I should probably finish those soon too. Any moment now he's going to tell me he's just going to finish them himself if I take much longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...