Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olympic Knitting


 


I've been diligently spending my evening knitting time on my Olympic knitting project, 1 row at a time. I think I have a good handle on the stranding now. I got down to the earflaps last night- another half hour or so and I think I will be done!


 



 

My apologies for not so great lighting in these pics- we haven't seen the sun in weeks.

In retrospect I probably should have picked something a little more difficult, but I really didn't expect to finish this quickly with it. I have had such a mental block about attempting stranding that I was SURE I would be struggling to finish by the end of the Olympics. I can tell you without a doubt that I wouldn't have tackled stranding or chart reading without the push of a time limit because I've been "going to try" both for several months now and have been too afraid of the techniques.

So after I finish up the hat tonight, I'll be finishing my EZ 36 stitch mittens, and knitting a bit on the second of the red toe-up socks. I'm at the gusset and we'll see how much length I can add tonight.

Next cast-on?

The Candy Cane hat from Handknit Holidays for Ender since he picked it out after seeing the Pixie hat I made for his cousin.

2 comments:

  1. It's looking great...wow...I wouldn't even know where to start...did you take lessons?
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. No lessons- I taught myself between a knitting for dummies book and the videos on knittinghelp.com. Then I spent about 2 weeks just doing knit stitch over and over and over, and then a few weeks purling and complaining and groaning about how tricky it was. Then I started with really small projects- a few wash cloths and 2 little baby cardigans- and when it started to feel easier I went on to socks (because that was why I wanted to learn to knit in the first place). It's been about a year and a half now, and I'm just now learning to knit with two colors like this hat.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...