Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Own Memorizing Work

I haven't memorized scripture on my own in a little while. I've been feeling the nudge to return to that habit, but our focus has recently been on helping our 5-year-old begin the habit himself. As I helped him with familiar verses I was struck with the thought that he would pass me up in a short amount of time because I had paused so long in learning new Words.

It was later that week that our Pastor called us all to task, asking us to pick up the sword as our protection, to memorize so that we will always know exactly what His Words are, so that His Word guards our minds. And I heard, and nodded and promised to consider it.

Then it was Ann who posted about Scripture Memory and I was cut deep with those videos.

Why is it that I didn't obey when I was first called back to memorizing? Why is it that it took three calls, each one sharper than the one before?

I'm still a very new student to this "direct and immediate obedience" thing.

These are my current words, on index cards with me through the day, and using some of the techniques Ann shared last week (blue is what I have memorized so far, and I am still working on the rest):

Psalm 51

Have mercy upon me Oh, God,
According to Your longkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.

Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight-
That You may be found just when You speak,
And blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
    
Hide Your face from my sins,
And blot out all my iniquities.

 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
       
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
     
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You.

Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,       
The God of my salvation,
And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.

 O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.
For You do not desire sacrifiice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and contrite heart-
These, O God, You will not despise.

Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion;
Build the Walls of Jerusalem.

Then You shall be pleased with the sacriifices of righteousness,
With burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.

**************

Ann Voskamp invites us to share our current scripture memory work this week. If you'd like to read more, visit her at A Holy Experience.


1 comment:

  1. You've chosen such a beautiful psalm to memorize! You're doing so well to already have so much memorized. It's funny how I expect my children to obey directly and immediately yet do I think I should I be exempt? Good point.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...