Thursday, October 14, 2010

What Kind of Year are You Having?

Do your years seem to shape themselves into themes? Or is this just a weird thing about me?

2008 was a big crafting year for me. I learned to sew basic garments over the summer (we're talking pajama pants here!) and I started the knitting love affair that fall.

2009 was the year of big food changes. We worked to buy and eat only real food and I learned a LOT about making food from scratch. Let me tell you- after growing up in a "microwave it!" household, it was quite the learning curve! But by last fall I felt like I'd really gotten a handle on our new way of eating and how to think about food in a completely different way.

2010 has been a strange year. In a way there has been a lot of "survival" going on here. A lot of "when Brian finishes school we'll do this" and some "if we can just make it through 2 more weeks we can take care of that" and after a long season of holding on by the seat of our pants, I'm not sure what to make of the last year.

:: We did figure out what our homeschool is meant to look like for now. It's been so much fun, and now that we are going with what works it feels effortless. (And now that I just wrote that, I'm sure I jinxed something.)

:: I figured out that I get too focused on all the things I "should" do or be, but the truth is I have 24 hours in a day just like everyone else and I have to prioritize. We make time for the things we want and need to do, but my "want to do" list was far longer than my "need to do" list. I think I've finally learned that sometimes it's good to finish up that needs list and let the rest of the stuff go for a few days.

::  I have been working too much this year, and I'm trying to find an agreeable yet reasonable solution to that problem.

:: This has been a year where I have had to really carve out quiet and peace. Writing here, knitting, getting up before Ezra's little feet hit the ground to spend the early light in prayer... These things have all been part of an attempt to create a tiny sanctuary for myself in the midst of the constant change this year has brought. It has helped me through the loneliness during Brian's unexpected travel and the long hours that he spent in class last spring, it helps through the work troubles, the schedule changes, the constant push and pull of life.

:: Most of all, this has been a year of great failure and great grace. Praise God for His abundant mercies and the measure of grace He places on us precisely when we need it. My husband and I sincerely believe that He has provided us with the perfect amounts of grace through this year, and we trust that He will continue His work in us through the current job situation. There is work for the next few weeks at least, and for now that is enough.

Has your year seemed to follow a theme? Share in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...