Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 in books

I used these questions to sum up my 2009 reading last year, and I *loved* taking a walk back through the year's books. Link in comments if you'd like to join me!


What was the best new (to you) author you discovered this year? Wow- I really didn't branch out this year, only 3 new-to-me authors on my list and I greatly disliked one... so Obert Skye for Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo. Brian and I really enjoyed that book.


What was your favorite new (to you) series? I read two series last year- A great many of the Lemony Snicket books, and the Percy Jackson books. Lemony Snicket's style becomes endearing about 3 books in, but the Percy Jackson books are a better story. It's a shame they aren't better written.


Book that made you cry? Naamah's Curse, only because I knew it would be another 2ish years before Jacqueline Carey would release another book! I love her work.


Book that made you laugh out loud? Leven Thumps again. The descriptions are so very bright and beautiful that if gave me a very precise portrait of it's characters, some quite hysterically.


Book that totally changed your perspective on something? Is it bad if I list a knitting book here? Wendy Johnson's toe-up sock books have entirely convinced me that toe-up socks are the way to go.


Best homeschooling book? The most influential homeschooling book I read this year is The Core which I've read in the past few months. It's weaving its way into my brain and I think there are some pieces I'd like to incorporate as the boys get older. I still hold that Real Learning is the best homeschooling book I've ever read and I do re-read it at least once a year.


Worst book that you managed to finish? The Lightening Thief. I'm glad I did. The subsequent books were far better written (but still not wonderful) and their plots were better written as well. Lightening Thief rambled a lot and there was a lot of convenient turns to help the plot along.


Most disappointing Book? The Host. It was kind of boring which was a shame since it was such an interesting concept.


Best book-that-was-better-than-the-movie? The Lemony Snicket books. Best movie better than the book? The Lightening Thief (though a warning- they totally changed the plot in the movie, and that is why it is better!)


Most over-hyped book of the year? Graceling. I heard from so many people about this great YA book that was "just your style" and bleh. It was kind of preachy about women being independent and not needing a man for anything and it got to the point that I felt like this fiction book was written JUST to prove that point. *So* not what I'm looking for.


Best feel-good book of the year? Is it bad that I don't read "feel-good" books? Does it count that I *loved* the new Rachel Caine book and that I felt good reading it even though it so doesn't fit this category?


Best young adult book of the year? Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. I'm a sucker for historical fiction right now, but I also really like Anderson's work in general. This book really fit.


Book You’ve been meaning to read for years and finally got to? I actually had nothing old on my list this year. The closest thing I have is the Lemony Snicket books and I only read the first 5 or so, just because I was in a reading slump and I knew they'd be quick reads to get me going again. I must do better at this one in 2011.


Read aloud that the family enjoyed the most? Ender would say The Story of Dr. Dolittle, and Ezra would say Alice in Wonderland.


Best non-fiction? I did a terrible job documenting my non-fic reading this year, but I really enjoyed Sweater Quest.


Best religion/theology/doctrine/philosophy? Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper.


All-around best story of the year? I really enjoyed the storylines in Chains and Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson.


Book that you feel is so integral to your library, you’d even pay full price for it? Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss and 3 R's by Dr. Ruth Beechick. These are pulled out about once a month as I think about the next month's school goals.


My 2010 Fiction List:

Goal: 24 fiction books


1. The Host by Stephenie Meyer (January)

2. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (January)

3. The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (February)

4. The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan (February)

5. The White Queen by Philippa Greggory (March)

6. The Battle of the Labrynth by Rick Riordan (March)

7. The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (March)

8. The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (April)

9. Graceling by Kristin Cashore (June)

10. Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye (June)

11. Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey (July)

12. Total Eclipse by Rachel Caine (August)

13. The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (August)

14. The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket (August)

15. The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket (September)

16. The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (November)

17. Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (November)

18. Forge by Laurie Halse Anderson (December)

19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (December)



Be sure to share in comments if you decide to write your own 2010 book list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...