Tuesday, August 20, 2013

FO: February Baby Sweater and Hat




Project: A Little Set for Taylor (A Little Hat and February Baby Sweater)


Pattern: February Baby Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmermann







Yarn: Cascade 220


Needles: US 7 for the hat, US 8 for the cardigan


For: my niece, Taylor


Notes: I have knit the February Baby Sweater a few times before (I think this is #4) and it's still one of my favorite knits. It's a simple pattern with simple lace that is easily memorized but looks a lot more complex than it actually is. I knit it a little longer than called for, so that it will really fit her this fall/winter- that's why she looks like she's swimming in it right now!

For the hat, I cast on in a multiple of 7, knit a few rows of 1x1 rib and then used the gull lace pattern from the February Baby Sweater to knit the lacework until it seemed tall enough, then decreased to finish the hat. My detailed notes are on Ravelry


Things I Learned: I'm getting less nervous about experimenting with shapes and a lot more willing to "off-road" within a pattern and then rip back if it doesn't work. I ripped back the hat a little bit when I was unhappy with the way the original decreases were working, but it helped me decide what to do with it ultimately.






Overall: A+. I'm really happy with the way it worked out, and that stretchy lace hat will stretch with her as she grows this winter. Ellie was even able to wear it and she's 13 months older than Taylor, so it might even last Taylor into winter 2014. 

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! the color is fantastic and she looks so sweet in it :)

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...