Friday, January 18, 2013

This Week

{To help me pull my thoughts together on the many areas 
we pursue through the week I'm borrowing from the day book format. 
I'll plan to post on Fridays about the many goings on around this little place.}


This week has been slow and fast all at the same time. Slow through the working hours as I started prepping all my students for the annual recital, and fast with kid things. Ellie's cold is still hanging aorund PLUS her first tooth finally made an appearance, Ezra's asthma has been a bit of a trial, and Ender- well, he's 7. And knows everything the world has to offer.

I thought we had at least 6 years until that happened.


On the Needles... 

I'm actively working on my Shapely Boyfriend Cardigan, Vertebrae for a soon-expected nephew, and what has become my yearly pair of socks. I also have a few things in my basket that have been languishing unreasonably long (including 2 promised monsters, a hat that really just needs the band finished and sewn on, and a ridiculously easy garter stitch scarf requested LAST WINTER that I just can't seem to make myself work on.)


I read... 

I did my bi-annual skim through/re-read of the Core, The Well-Educated Mind, and The 3 Rs. I always find a need to refresh our homeschool around January.


Homeschool... 

We covered Cycle 1, Week 2 in Classical Conversations. I'm not sure why I dragged my feet about starting this material in the fall, but I did and now I regret it. It totally fits Ender's learning style and he thinks all the memory work is marvelous.


In the Kitchen... 

I canned a small batch of spiced lemon honey I found in the Ball Home Canning book earlier in the week on an evening when I finished work early and after the kids were in bed. As I type I have quite a bit of citrus on my counter waiting for some preservation but I can't seem to decide between marmalade and jams...


Inspiration... 

I've been pinning tutorials and patterns for shirts and dresses to sew for Ellie over the last few weeks. I'm truly hoping I'll even get a chance to cut pieces in the next week.


Watching... 

The West Wing is my knitting entertainment right now as I wait impatiently each week for Downton Abbey to air. I didn't watch it when it was actually on t.v., and wouldn't have found it interesting at the time anyway. This is why Netflix is totally awesome.


Listening... 

This week I listened to the Knitmore Girl's episode 212 (ep. 213 waiting for me) and started listening through their back episodes. I made it through episodes 1-11 this week. I run 3-4 times a week now (NEVER thought I'd say I run by the way, but more on that another time) which has made for some prime podcast listening time, as well as any time I'm spending more than 10 minutes cooking or doing chores. As you can tell, that time really adds up through the week, since I plowed my way through 11 episodes in just 1 week.


Garden...

Plans have been made for several months now, but now we have to wait a bit for "warm enough" to come along so that we can get started pulling out some of the beds that are here from the previous owner. There is a lot of grading to be done next to the house to be sure we don't have water issues later and that has to come before the fun gardening... or so I'm told.


In Stitches... 

I finally unearthed my machine. I haven't seen her since before the move (almost a year ago!) and I would like to get started making a few things for Ellie to get ready for summer. The boys will be needing shorts too, and I've had a request for more pajamas.


I didn't get to...

The library or any of the errands that I wanted to run. I haven't even had a chance at the grocery store this week. I'm hoping for that today, but Ellie is still snuffly, Ezra is wheezy and I think Ender has the beginning of this cold too. Perhaps we'll have a burst of energy later in the day and a trip out of the house will actually sound appealing.


This weekend...

I'm planning to can some citrus and knit but I suspect most of my time will be consumed by taking care of the sniffles running our house right now. I should never make plans to cut fabric. It's as if all the germs from miles around come together in that instant to plot against any sewing plans I make.


I'd love to hear how your week went... feel free to post a link in comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...